Followers

A Few of my Favorite Things

Sunday, September 14, 2014

It's beginning to look a lot like Halloween! Soup recipe!


It's beginning to Look a lot like Halloween at our house! Which means soon I get to introduce Hallie to one of my favorite traditions! It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown will be hitting our TV screen very soon! Yay!
Yesterday the weather was nice and cool, so I took the opportunity to decorate for Halloween and not seem like a crazy person...okay, maybe I'm still crazy, but who cares! I LOVE this time of year! Hallie happily played on her activity mat, while Momma decorated our mantle and put our homemade wreath on the door! 






She is really doing great lifting her head! This is one proud Momma, let me tell you!






 Our Pretty wreath which is now being displayed on our front door so that everyone who comes over can see how crazy FESTIVE I am! 






Here are the pictures of our pretty mantle...notice the cute picture of my husband dressed as Dracula as a kid! Can't wait to get Hallie's first Halloween picture up here! Eeek! She's going to look cute you guys! Can't wait to share the costume I have in store for this little pumpkin....no she's not going to be a pumpkin, but see what I did there?! 

After all the decorating fun I made a delicious pot of Black Eyed Pea soup! I got this recipe from my Auntie Janie.  I remember long Sunday afternoons studying when I lived with her, she would make big pots of this stuff and bring it to me while I was studying! She was sweet enough to let me share it with you guys, so here you go:

Auntie Janie's Black Eyed Pea Soup

Ingredients: 
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion Chopped
  • 4-5 Slices of Bacon (I use Turkey Bacon because I don't eat pork)
  • 2 Cartons of Beef Broth (Again I am lame and use chicken broth) 
  • 4 cans of seasoned Black Eyed Peas
  • 2 Garlic Cloves minced
  • 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (I like the HOT one!)
  • 1 can of green chilis
  • I can of diced tomatoes 
  • Chili powder, Salt and Pepper to taste (I also add a touch of Cayenne because I like it super spicy! 

Directions: 
  1. In a large soup pot saute onions, bacon and garlic in a touch of olive oil until onions appear see-through
  2. Add the broth, Black eyed peas, both cans of tomatoes and green chilis
  3. Add seasoning to taste and bring to a boil
  4. Let simmer and serve over rice with cheddar cheese or with corn bread!
I just love a nice pot of soup on a cool crisp evening and will be sharing many more of my favorite soup recipes!! 

Today comes the baking! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal raisin cookies are on the horizon!!! Mmm! My house is about to smell delicious!! 
Stay tuned for those recipes and have a FANTASTIC Sunday!!!




10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how cute are you!! I need to get our decorations out too:) The soup looks amazing...may have to try it! Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes! It is a must try!!! Perfect for this time of year!

      Delete
  2. Love all your fall decorations!!!! We love all the Charlie Brown holiday movies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I get the love for the peanuts gang from my dad!

      Delete
  3. We are getting in the Halloween spirit around here too! We went to a pumpkin festival this weekend and I cant wait to get out our decorations. I also had to make a trip to Carter's for some Halloween baby clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that too! That's what tomorrow's post is all about! Lol

      Delete
  4. I've been slowly decorating for days now! I love it! You aren't crazy. Just enthusiastic and AWESOME! The tiny dracula pic! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks! Makes me feel much better!

      Delete
  5. I love all of your fall decor! That sounds like such a delicious soup! I think my grandmother used to make something similar when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Grandma's always cook the best!

      Delete

Don't be shy, I'd love to hear what you think! Don't forget to follow us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...